- Region: Leh-Ladakh
- Altitude: 12,500ft.
- Best Season: Jan
- Distance: 45-kms
- GRADE: Difficult/Challenging (Due to Extreme cold climate)
Imagine walking on the surface made of ice and frozen river. Sounds enthralling? One can have this experience on the Chadar Trek. The trek is like no other trek in Himalayas. However, one can find frozen rivers or frozen lakes on other treks too but the experience of Chadar trek remains completely different and exciting. Walking on a thick glass made of ice having huge and lofty mountains on both sides is an experience of a lifetime. The trek offers an opportunity to explore and experience the Zanskari and Ladakhi culture and hospitality. Apart from all this, the frozen waterfalls leave you in awe. The best months to do this trek is January and February and seeing the difficulty level, the trek is not recommended for beginners.
- Day 1 : Reporting day at Leh
- Day 2 : Acclimatization Day
- Day 3 : Getting a medical check-up
- Day 4 : Drive from Leh to Shingra Koma and trek to Tsomo Paldar (Drive 65kms, 4-5hrs/ 3kms trek 2 hrs)
- Day 5 : Trek Tsomo Paldar to Tibb (15kms / 7-8 hrs)
- Day 6 : Trek Tibb to Naerak Camp (13kms/ 6-7 hrs)
- Day 7 : Trek Naerak to Tibb (13kms / 5-6 hrs)
- Day 8 : Tibb to Shingra Koma. Back to Leh (9kms Trek 5-6kms/ 75kms drive, 4-5 hrs)
- Day 9 : Depart from Leh
- Batch-I : 08 Jan 2022 to 16 Jan 2022 (Ex-Leh)
- Batch-II: 15 Jan 2022 to 23 Jan 2022 (Ex-Leh)
Chadar trek a thrilling and adventurous trek in India. In the local language “Chadar” means layer- indicating the layer of ice that covers the river. The chadar trek is basically performed on a frozen river called the “Zanskar River”.
Total Duration : 8 Nights / 9 Days (Ex Leh)
Rs. 21,500/- Per Person (Leh To Leh)
- Day 1: Reporting day at Leh (1800m) (Stay in Hotel/Home-stay.)
Altitude 11,400 ft. Keep your woolen cap and gloves & RTPCR report handy at Airport.
As soon you land at the airport, you will be greeted by dry and cold air, but what will take all your attention is the lofty, snow-capped mountains all around; a sight that will remain with you forever. After completing the arrival formalities and picking up your bags from the baggage counter, you have to book cab from Govt Taxi Counter toward the hotel. (Location & Address will be share separately.)
Network is available (only post-paid)ATM is available. Visit of any very high altitude place or pass is not advisable. Consumption of alcohol and smoking is strictly prohibited. Spend the day in the room itself to acclimatize have a drink lots of water or liquid like soup or tea. (Sufficient time would be given for visiting market and nearby places) Spend the day in the room itself to acclimatize to the high altitude. This is absolutely necessary and is most important for the days ahead. Overnight in the hotel Situated at an altitude of 3500m, the day will be spent soaking in the sights and sounds of Leh while at the same time, getting the body acclimatized to the oxygen levels. In Evening The Shanti Stupa and Leh market square will give you a good feel of the surroundings and the people. Get outside to stay acquainted with the temperature. Explore market and get your missing stuff from the market
- Day 2: Acclimatization / Local sightseeing Day (Stay in Hotel/Home-stay.)
Rest Day/Acclimatization Day or if person feeling good then he/she can go for local sightseeing. (Local sightseeing can be Cab sharing basis i.e. Rs:500/-PP) You can go around for sightseeing, but going at high altitude pass is not recommended. As next day you need to perform your medical checkup in LEH as per new Govt regulations. You need to be physically fit for this trek.
Evening will have a brief about trek and recent information sharing also current status about chadar also fill out form (ALTOA & Medical) Bring 2 Passport photos & Original Boarding pass Delhi – Leh.
- Day 3: Medical Check up / Shopping (Stay in Hotel/Home-stay.)
Due to the challenging nature & cold climate of this particular trek, government has made it mandatory for participants to acquire medical certification before they undertake Chadar trek. A clearance certificate upon a medical check-up will be issued by the Sonam Narbu Hospital. One will get a certificate only when adequately fit and acclimatized for the trek.
Early morning wake-up & ready sharp by 08.00am will move to Leh Govt Hospital it will take time around 5/6hrs as many others groups also there for checkup.
Note: ALTOA, Wildlife, Medical & Insurance cost born/paid by participant as mentioned below it can be changes by govt last movement prepare for the same
- ALTOA : 800/- PP
- Wildlife & Permits: 2000/- PP
- Medical Test: 200/- PP
- Insurance: 2000/-PP
- Our lead will collect above mentioned cash i.e. 5000/- PP and he will pay all amount collectively at counter for the same invoice will provided against total number of amount in group and name list.
- All procedure will complete until afternoon 14:00pm have lunch complete your pending shopping & Prepare your bag pack tonight only.
- In case of if anyone not get clearance & failed in medical test He/She cannot able to join trek further & needs to Pay expenses Stay/Food/Airfare or any other by his own as its neutral process in which the Offbeat Wanderers not responsible for the same.
- Day 4: Departing from Leh (Stay in tent.)
– Leh – Chilling – Tilat do – Tsomo Paldar (Drive/3-4 hrs & Trek/3hr)11,000ft to 10,390ft. Stay in tent.
– Early morning wake-up & prepare yourself by 08.00am sharp for moving out most awaited Chadar Trek. We start off from Leh and head out towards the start point of our trek at Tilat do. En route, we will pass Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and the confluence of the Zanskar and Indus rivers just before Nimu. Once past Chilling, we arrive at Tiilat do. You will commence two to three hour trek. We take our first baby steps on the frozen river, so be prepared for some slips and falls! Walking in gumboots too will take a while, so be patient as it’s only your first day for long trek. We start off along the left bank, past the cascading waters of the Zanskar river and frozen waterfalls until we set up camp at Tsomo Paldar. Our camp site is on a piece of flat land high above, giving you a stunning view of bend of the river.
- Day 5: Tsomo Paldar – Tibb Cave (Trek 9-10 km. / 4-5 hours) 10,390ft to 10,760ft (Stay in tent.)
– Rising early would have its perks as the sun comes out from behind the mountains and lights up the valley. It will also help your body get used to the cold. Aching bones, if any, will be sorted by some scrumptious breakfast as the Zanskar comes to life with the rising sun. A relatively easy day of walking past higher waterfalls will get you to Tibb Cave, which lies at the intersection of two valleys. An evening walk down any one of them can make for good exploration.
- Day 6: Tibb Cave – Naerak (Trek 10-11 km. / 5-6 hours) 10,760ft to 11,100ft (Stay in tent.)
– It’s the most eagerly awaited day, especially because en route Nyerak – the first village of Zanskar – is a stunning frozen waterfall. While the ones you have seen so far are from high up, this one is also several feet in length which makes it one of the most picturesque sights on the trek. Just ahead of it is Nyerak, and while we camp by the river, a short walk early next morning will take you back to civilization for the first time in almost a week. At Nyerak, you can treat yourself to some goodies from the local shop and interact with the residents there, who are more than happy to indulge in a good conversation.
- Day 7: Nyerak – Tibb Cave (Trek 15-17 km. / 9 hours) (Stay in Tent)
– On this particular day, start your return trip and proceed towards Tibb. The return trail would not be easy and the river quickly reacts to any change in the temperature. By now the frozen river might have taken an entirely new form. After four days of walking on ice, you will now be an expert. So feel free to look around and soak in the surroundings. There’s a good chance of spotting ibex and bharal on the high slopes, and if you’re lucky, even a snow leopard walking along the ridge. On the way back, admire the beauty of the region, click pictures and meet locals, who can be seen wearing traditional woolen Gonchas (robes). Upon Dib Cave, relax and stay overnight at the campsite.
- Day 8: Tibb Cave – Gyalpo – Shingra Koma (Trek 10-11 km. / 6-7 hours) (Stay in Hotel/Home-stay.)
– In the morning, get ready to leave Tibb and proceed towards Shingra Koma, crossing Gyalpo. Way back is tiring at the same time very interesting. After 5 days in this chilling region you get use to this environment. Snap shots of your favorite place, lying on the bed of ice, sharing your experience are the memories of trek. The trail today will give you a chance to witness high mountains and pug-marks of wild animals like snow leopards, ibex and foxes. If lucky, you just might spot, even if you do not, then at least be sure, you would be watched by them.
– In the evening, drive back to Leh.
- Day 9: Checkout & Fly Off from Leh or Spare Day (Stay in Hotel/Home-stay.)
– If you don’t want to spare extra day & additional day cost then after Bf/Tea or as per your flight booking and Airport check-in time. Fly to your desired destination. Trek end with memories.
Note: OR Spare day for unforeseen circumstances landslides/or no flight due to climate, broken chadar, heavy snow fall, etc natural reason. In this case participant he/she have to born/pay charges if any Meal & other personal expenses. (1k For Entire day) & by chance if everything goes smoothly then you can visit High passes like Khardungla depend upon climate condition.
- Day-10 Checkout & Fly Off from Leh (Spare day participant.)
– Addition day as due to Spare Day.
– Fly to your desired destination as per departure time.
– Trek conclude with memories.
Things To Pack
- Backpack (Min 60 Ltrs) with Rain Cover
- Trekking Shoes. (Quechua Forclaz 500 M Wenge Hiking Boots (43))
- 4 Pairs of Full sleeve shirts/T-Shirt and Track Pants (1 should be waterproof/windproof)
- 4 Pair of cotton socks. 3 pairs of woolen socks.
- 2 Full Sleeve Sweater (Quechua Forclaz 50 Fleece, Men’s Large (Black))
- One Heavy Down Jacket (Quechua Warm Down Ski Jacket, XXL (Black)
- Thermal Inner -2 Pair
- 2 pair waterproof hand gloves
- 2 Pair woolen Gloves
- Sun Cap
- One Scarf
- Light towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+)
- Water Bottle 1 Lt (Thermos Preferable)
- Headlamp or torch with a fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
- Personal Medicine Kit
- Dark Sunglasses (U/V protected)
- Walking Stick (At least one)
- People who were spectacles- Should avoid contact lenses and use photochromatic glasses instead.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in leh on Day 1,2,3 and 8 (Hotel,guest house, home stay with heater) triple sharing.
- Accommodation in campsite while on trek on Day 4, 5, 6 & 7
- Veg. meal on trek (breakfast + lunch + dinner + evening hot tea/soup) starting from day 4 lunch to day 8 breakfast.
- Transport required in the trek on day 1 and 8 with trek leader.
- Skilled local Guide who has ample knowledge of the route.
- Vegetarian meals on the trek (Breakfast/Lunch/Evening Tea or Soup /Dinner)
- Cooks/Helper and other requisite staff.
- Porters/mules for carrying common equipment (like rations/tents/utensils/Tent)
- Equipment – Tents on sharing basis / Sleeping bags / Sleeping Mats
- Basic First aid Kit.
- Toilet / Kitchen / Dining Tent
- Camping charges.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything not specifically mentioned under ‘Inclusions’
- Travel to Leh & return
- Local sightseeing and entry fees.
- Porters to carry personalized backpacks. (Available on prior intimation with 500/- per day cost)
- Personal equipment like cloths, backpack, shoes, Gumboots etc
- Personal expenses any kind
- Food in Leh ( Day 1, 2, 3 & Day 8, 9) bf/tea, lunch, dinner, snacks.
- Govt/ALTOA/Environment fees
- Medical Expenses/Insurance/Emergency Evacuation
- Airport pickup and drops.
- Unforeseen expenses due to any natural calamity, broken chadar, heavy snowfall, road blockage any other.
- The expenses occurring from change in schedule in trek or stay due to weather conditions, Govt Interruption or personal health issues are to be borne by the participants. The Offbeat Wanderers will not be responsible for such issues. Same amount can be shareable among all participant if everyone will ready.