Sondai Fort Monsoon Trek
Grade: Easy | Endurance: Easy
Sondai fort is a hidden beauty of Karjat. It is not a popular destination but it will blow your mind for sure! This Fort is a part of the Matheran range. This is one of the best treks to visit during monsoons near Mumbai. From Sonewadi base village it takes 15-20 mins to reach the plateau. 2 adjoined cisterns reserve water. We can have a view of Gavari hill from here. After climbing the carved stairs one can see dried cistern also on the right side a ladder is available to ascend. As the place is believed to be sacred due to the Sondai temple one must take off their shoes and continue their trek. After climbing the rock patch one can see 2 cisterns in which one huge pillar stands tall. The top view gives a splendid view of the Matheran Mountain range. Green landscapes and even foggy pinnacle during the monsoon!
Batch 1 : Sunday, 08 September 2019
- 3-4 Cisterns which hold water.
- Sondai Devi Statue and 2-3 carved idols which are kept under a tree.
- Beautiful and enormous Matheran Mountain Range which is heaven to witness during monsoons!
- Morbe Dam which gives an amazing view during monsoons.
- The breathtaking view of Vavarle Dam holding the monsoon rain water.
Train option for Mumbai participants
Catch CSMT - Karjat local
CSTM - Karjat local timing
Train options for Pune participants
Board Sinhgad express from Pune
06:10 Shivaji Nagar
08:05 Meet at Karjat railway station, near the ticket counter.
08:15 Move to Base Village by Tumtum / Eco / bus.
08:45 Reach at Sondewadi and Breakfast.
09:15 Start ascending.
11:30 Reach on top and explore.
14:30 Reach at Sondewadi.
15:45 Journey towards Karjat railway station by Tumtum / Eco / bus.
16:30 Reach at Karjat railway station.
- People may board the same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Sondai Monsoon Trek, no refund will be provided.
- Please carry packed lunch.
- Please wear trekking shoes for this trek with good grip.
Things to Carry
- Identity Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Trekking Shoes
- Enerzyl powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & biscuits
- Extra pair of clothes
- Clean napkin or towel
- Rain coat/ Poncho / Wind cheater (Avoid umbrella)
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Haversack or backpack (No sling bags)
- Camera (optional)
- Please carry personal medicines if any
- Hand Sanitizer
Monsoon Safety Measures
- Put clothes, money, camera, phone etc in polythenes while packing
- Wear shoes with good grips
- Use repellents to keep bugs away
- Make note of nearest railway station, bus stop, taxi stand etc.
- Do not stray away from your group during the trek
- Keep family & friends informed about your whereabouts
What is included in the tour
1 veg Breakfast
Travel Karjat to Karjat by local tumtum/bus
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch for the Day is Exluded
- Travel cost from Mumbai/Pune to Karjat and back
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required