About Lohagad Fort Trek
Lohagad Fort means Iron fort in Marathi, situated close to the hill station of Lonavala Khandala and 52 km northwest of Pune, Lohagad rises to an elevation of 1,033 meters or 3,389 feet above sea level. The Lohagad Killa is connected to the neighboring Visapur Fort which is at its eastern side by a small range. The range divides the basins of the Indrayani River and Pavana River rivers.
Lohagad overlooks the Pavna reservoir, located to the south of the mountain. The hill extends to the northwest to a fortified spur, called Vinchu Kata Scorpion's tail because of its resembling shape. The four large gates of Lohagad are still in good condition and reasonably intact. The fort has been declared as a protected monument by the by Archaeology Survey of India. Best trekking route near Mumbai and Pune for beginners.
Things to see at Lohagad Fort Trek
We can reach to the top of the fort by stairs. We will come across four doors while reaching the top. The first one is called 'Ganesh Darwaaja', the second one is called 'Narayan Darwaaja', the third one is called 'Hanuman Darwaaja' & the fourth one is called 'Maha Darwaaja'. Out of this Hanuman Darwaaja is the most ancient of all the doors. Between Narayan & Hanuman Darwaaja there are two godowns which were used for storage purpose as a granary
After entering the Maha Darwaaja we come across an old 'Dargah'. Besides the Dargah, there are remnants of the court. Towards right we come across 'Laxmi Kothi' which has many rooms. The treasury of Nana Phadnis was kept here. In front of this place are two cannons. To the western side of the fort is Vinchu Kata. It is 1500-meter-long & 30 meters wide part of the mountain, separated from the main part. Viewing from the fort this area looks like scorpion’s sting and hence it is called Vinchu Kata. As named, this portion was to keep a watch on the surrounding region, and any activity of the enemy in its vicinity could be tackled.
- Monsoon Trek to Lohagad difficulty level: Easy
- Endurance Level: Medium
- Base village for Lohagad: Lohagad Wadi
- Lohgad Fort Height: 3400 ft.
- Location: Lonavala
- Total time required for climbing: 2 hours from Malavali and 40 minutes from Lohagad Wadi.
- Total distance for climbing: 5 km
- Duration: 1 Day
What is included in the tour
- 1 veg Breakfast and 1 veg Lunch
- Bhaje caves entry fee
- Trek Leader Expertise Charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel cost from Mumbai to Malavli and back
- Travel from Pune to Malavli and back
- Mineral water/lime water/ purchased for personal consumption
- All kinds of Extra Meals / soft drinks ordered
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of cost which is not mentioned in the cost includes above.
- All expenses incurred due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like roadblocks, bad weather
- Any medical / Emergency evacuations if required
Train timings for Mumbai participants
Move to Malavali by local train
Train timings for Pune participants
Lonavala Local Train
06:35 Shivaji nagar
08:30 Meet at Malavali station and move towards Lohagad fort.
09:30 Visit Bhaje Caves.
12:00 Reach at Lohagad top, exploration and rest. (2 hrs.approx.)
15:00 Reach at Lohagad Wadi and lunch.
16:00 Move to Malavali Station.
17:30 Departure for Mumbai / Pune from Malavli station.
- People may board same train from their respective stations of convenience.
- Missing the train is missing Monsoon Trek to Lohagad, no refund will be provided.