Manikgad is situated on a hill in North Konkan near Chawk and can be seen while travelling on Mumbai - Pune Highway. The fort has couple of water cisterns and remains of settlements and fortification. The fort was used as a watch tower and offers a commanding view from top of that region. Manikgad was built to look upon the trade route from Maval(Pune) to the coastal ports. This fort though looks easy requires high endurance and capacity of the trekker for long walk.This fort is situated near Vashivali (Rasayani MIDC), which is 27 km from Panvel.
This fort was built by Sarkhel Kanhoji Angre , to whom it was ceded in 1718 by Peshavas. The fort is in ruins. There is a big rock-cut cistern on the fort called as "Darya take". There is a small shiva linga and few small rock-cut cisterns. The Ganesh gate is the only standing structure on the fort. There is a circular trench cut in the rock meant for lime mixing. If the sky is clear nearby forts i.e. Karnala, Prabalgad, Chanderi, Malang gad, Irshalgad, Sondai, Lohagad, Visapur, Sankshi are seen.
- Type: Hill fort
- Height: 1876 feet
- Base: Vadgaon village
- Difficulty level: Easy to Medium
- Time required : 3-3.5 hours
Meeting Point: Panvel Bus Station at 07:30 am
Day 1 : Sunday.
07:30 AM : Panvel Bus Station
09:00 AM : Reach Base village after Breakfast and Tea
10.00 AM : Start Trek
01.30 PM : Reach Top
Explore the Fort
02.00 PM : Start Descending
04.00 PM : Reach Base Village
04.30 PM : Lunch
06.00 PM : Start our Return Journey
07.00 PM : Reach Panvel Station (Depend on the Traffic)
Local Train time Table
Thane - Panvel (S)
06:19 am Thane
06:27 am Airoli
06:36 am Koparkhairne
06:48 am Nerul
06:55 am Belapur CBD
06:59 am Kharghar
07:10 am Panvel
Train Time Table (Thane to Panvel)
06:19am : Thane
06:48am : Nerul
07:10am : Panvel
Andheri – Vadala Road Slow Local
05:17am : Andheri
05:31am : Bandra
05:42am : Vadala Road
Things to Carry :
- 4 lit water
- Proper rain-gears like Umbrella / Raincoat / Windcheater (Must)
- Packs things properly to protect from rain (Must)
- Torch with extra batteries (Must)
- Full sleeve T-shirts and full pant.(Must)
- Good trekking shoes, extra pair of socks (Must)
- Sunscreen, Mosquito repellant,Towel, a napkin, Extra Pair of clothes (Must)
- (For 1 day trek bedding is not needed) Proper Bedding like Sleeping Bag and Mat / 2 Shawls / 2 bed-sheets (Must)
- Camera, Cap etc. (Optional)
- Electrolyte packets as energy drinks (optional)
- Carry eatable like fruits, dry fruits to munch on during trek and to avoid dehydration.
- A haversack to put in all the things.
- Good to have stick for support.
- Identity Card
- No smoking.
- No plastic littering.
- Wear full sleeves, full track suite for protection.
- Proper footwear/shoes are essential for trek.
- Conserve and preserve our heritage.
- No deodorant / perfume. After trek it’s OK.
- We reserves all right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without any prior notice.
- No Extra adventure/out of itinerary behavior during trek.
- Trek leader’s decision will be final and binding.
- Photographs taken during the activity which can be used for publicity purpose.
- Each member will be responsible for his/her own safety, Jewellery, Cash and baggage.
- It is most essential to be fit and fine before heading for trekking.
- While planning your trekking trip, it is preferable to have a medical fitness check up done.
- If suffering from any kind of allergy or ailment, do carry proper prescribed medicines to prevent serious health problem including heatstroke, sever headache, cough, dehydration and hypothermia.
- Participants suffering from chronic conditions like asthma, bronchitis, blood pressure, migraine, diabetes etc should seek their physicians advice before coming.
What is included in the tour
- Transport from Panvel to Panvel
- Breakfast and Tea
- Veg Lunch
What is NOT included in the tour
- Mineral water
- Any kind of insurance,
- Soft-drinks etc.
- Anything other than above-mentioned inclusions.